In one of my more exciting experiences in the Black Ops campaign, I was two places at one time… Literally.  My objective starting the mission, as the main character Mason, was to infiltrate a Russian ship with my good friend Victor Reznov.  Our goal was to find Dr. Stiener (the man who created the NOVA chemical) and kill him.

Reznov and I made our way across the huge ship evading spotlight helicopters and troops that were searching for us.   This part of the mission I really enjoyed because there was an aspect of espionage to it.  We had to attack enemies at just the right time or we would be spotted and EXTREMELY outnumbered.  Also, we had to stay in the shaddows of the crates on the ship.  Eventually we made our way inside and found Steiner.  When we found him, Reznov was quick to get started with “getting his revenge.”  But something strange happened when Steiner looked at Mason.  He said “Vorkuta… You don’t know what we did to you.”  After that, Veznov took control again and screamed “I am Victor Reznov, and I will have my revenge!” and preceded to kill Dr. Steiner.

After this segment of the mission Mason is told that he was brainwashed.   All those missions where Mason thought that Reznov was fighting along his side, were all delusions.  They brainwashed Mason at Vorkuta.  So really in the mission I had just played, Reznov was never with me.  It was me alone, on a mission to kill Steiner.

The interesting part of this mission was that after I was told this information, I got to play the mission from the perspective of another US soldier whose objective was to stop Mason from killing Steiner.  The U.S. Government wanted Steiner alive so that they could question him.

While battling our way to stop Mason, I got to man a tank through the streets of an island town, which was pretty sweet.  Then, an enemy helicopter dropped Nova 6 on the town we were battling through.  Once this happened, my team and I put our gas-masks on so that the Nova could not get to our lungs.  Another part I liked about this segment of the game was how realistic it was.  If I got shot or took damage upon myself, the mask would crack little by little.  So that if i took enough damage my mask would crack and I would die from the Nova 6 chemical.  We are successful in finding Mason, but are too  late to stop him (obviously).  As we are looking through the glass at him he screams “I am Victor Reznov, and I will have my revenge!”

A lot of good was done in this segment of the game.  I found out vital information as to why Mason is so F’d up, I got to play through a well thought out level and accomplish some pretty cool objectives.  Overall, it was a fun level.